Sunday, January 13, 2008

Dying new velour :-)


Can you tell it is a cold, drizzly day here? The woodstove feels great, and as long as it's going, I may as well work on fabrics. I have fallen in love with the cotton velour. It is so soft, thick and thirsty, but the really good quality stuff is hard to find. I prefer the 13 oz per yard stuff, and if you can find any in the fabric store it is usually the 9 oz stuff. In velour, thicker is better :-) SO - I am special ordering the velour. It comes in a big roll, and makes the fed ex man groan a little. When I get it, I cut it into 1 1/2 - 2 yard pieces. Into the dye pan it goes, simmering on the stove. I mix dyes according to my mood - today it was purple and pink at my daughter's urging. Add a little here, a little there - some vinegar rinse... don't forget to wear your gloves as purple hands just don't look right! Rinse well, then into the washer. Hang till nearly dry, then a quick run to the laundry mat or a good friend's to dry completely and ensure any shrinkage is dealt with... Pretty stuff! I currently have the pink and purple coming out of the dye vat, a purple and blue that is all done and ready to cut, and at least one more should go in today!

No comments: